This morning’s farmer’s market foray yielded shallots, usually an impractical purchase, but at three bucks a box, too good to pass up. I flashed back to a Smitten Kitchen post in which Ms. Perelman called herself “the girl who cried…cook!”. That resonates, really, but for me, it’s not “Cook!” so much as “Eat!”. I’m not sure anybody remembers most of what I cook, but I have a feeling that the vegan friend won’t forget these.
Caramelized shallots. If you’re not big on onions, I’d skip these, but if you enjoy the flavor, these are eyes-rolling-back-in-your-head good. Here goes!
- Peel your shallots, however many you happen to have (about a pint box, in this case). Just as you finish peeling them, leave to go to a yard sale. The shallots will wait.
- When you get back, melt six tablespoons of margarine (if you want these to be truly vegan) in a skillet.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Add three tablespoons of sugar and three tablespoons of red wine vinegar. (If out of red wine vinegar, add most of three tablespoons of vinegar and drizzle in a bit of red wine.)
- Add shallots and cook until starting to brown, about ten minutes.
- Scrape shallots and sauce into baking dish. Bake for somewhere between fifteen and thirty minutes, depending on size of shallots and attentiveness of cook.
- Remove dish and place shallots into smaller serving dish. Watch vegan friend enjoy them. 😀